Describe how vascular cambium bring about growth in higher plants
- This is located between xylem and phloem and its activity causes secondary growth or increase in girth.
- The vascular cambium consists of two types of cells fusiform initials and ray initials.
- The cells of fusiform divide by mitosis tangentially to form secondary xylem on the inside and secondary phloem on the outside
- Cells of the ray initials divide by mitosis to form secondary parenchyma cells which accumulate to form rays between neighboring xylem and phloem.
- The accumulation of secondary tissue results into increase in girth of the stem and hence secondary growth
CATEGORIES Bio Questions and answers
TAGS Dr. Bbosa Science