Describe what would happen in an individual who develops a malfunctioning liver.
The liver is the largest organ and center of metabolic activity in the body. Its failure to function properly it fails the following functions
- A person will have abnormal sugar levels due to failure of synthesis and breakdown of glycogen
- Regulation of lipids may fail leading to high concentration of lipids in blood causing heart diseases and gall stone
- Detoxification of poisonous substance may fail leading to death due to accumulation of poisons in the body
- Production of bile may fail leading impaired digestion of fats
- Synthesis of plasma proteins may fail leading to accumulation fluid in he tissue swelling of feet
- Storage of minerals such as iron may reduce causing deficiency diseases
- Synthesis of vitamin K may be impaired leading to inability of blood to clot
- Reduced storage of blood
- Reduced production of heat and hemostasis of body temperature
- Failure to remove old worn out red blood cells from the body.
CATEGORIES Bio Questions and answers
TAGS Dr. Bbosa Science